The Association of Women Faculty on the Danforth Campus at Washington University mourns the unjust deaths of Rayshard Brooks, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Michael Brown and many other people of color across the country. We condemn systemic racism, white supremacy and their deeply rooted origins in our nation’s history. We remain committed to confronting these injustices with our privilege of being faculty through teaching, research, advocacy and practice. We also acknowledge the trauma and experiences of some of our members.
As an organization we commit to:
- developing and sustaining diversity of our executive board
- supporting university resource development for faculty advocacy and activism
- sponsoring platforms for elevating voices and productive dialogue on race and equity—within the university, in St. Louis, and the world.
- employing an intersectional approach in our work to advance opportunities for women faculty on the Danforth Campus
- increasing supports and mentorship for women faculty of color, especially those early in their career.
We welcome others across the university and the country to join us in what has long been part of the AWF mission, to apply our collective strengths to end systemic systems underlying police brutality, make Black Lives Matter, and fully realize liberty, equality, and justice for all.